Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Five Best...Scapegoat Songs


#5. "Scapegoat" by Chumbawamba

Scapegoat
Looking for a scapegoat
There's always someone else for
You to blame
Backed into a corner
He barricades his life
Fastens up the shutters every night


#4. "Sacrificial Bonfire" by XTC

The scapegoat blood spilled
Spittled and grilled it crackled and spat
And children grew fat on the meat
Change must be earnt
Sacrificial bonfire must burn


#3. "Ballad in Plain D" by Bob Dylan

Of the two sisters, I loved the young.
With sensitive instincts, she was the creative one.
The constant scapegoat, she was easily undone
By the jealousy of others around her.


#2. "Endless Highway" by the Band

When they get a scapegoat by the throat
It's hard labour and cold beans
If ya get away real quick
You'll be eatin' from the poison peanut machine
Well, I sing by night, wander by day
I'm on the road and it looks like I'm here to stay


#1. "The Sound of Music" by Joy Division

I'll walk you through the heartbreak,
Show you all the out takes,
I can't see it getting higher,
Systematically degraded,
Emotionally a scapegoat,
I can't see it getting better.