Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Five Best...Richard Thompson "Snake" Songs


#5. "Don't Tempt Me" from Amnesia

He's got the looks, he's got the lolly
Driving me clean off my trolley
Doing the jitterbug, doing the jive
Doing the shimmy, snakes alive
That's not a dance, that's S-E-X
Ban that couple, certificate X


#4. "Bank Vault in Heaven?" from you? me? us?

Going to shine down from heaven right into your room
Take the minds of your children right off to the moon
Every mud hut and igloo, every penthouse and farm
I'll shine down from heaven and I'll do my snake-charm


#3. "Mother Knows Best" from Rumor and Sigh

She tells everybody she was born in a ditch
She back-combs her hair 'till she looks like a witch
Wolves in her train, serpents suckle at her breast
Don't forget to wash behind your ears, 'cause mother knows best


#2. "Put It There Pal" from you? me? us?

Some say you're a rattlesnake in the grass
But I say the sun shines out of your arse


#1. "Cooksferry Queen" from Mock Tudor

She gave me one pill to get bigger
She gave me one pill to get small
I saw snakes dancing all around her feet
And dead men coming throught the wall
Well I'm the prince of this parish
I've been ruthless and I've been mean
But she blew my mind as she opened my eyes
She's my Cooksferry Queen


No comments: