Saturday, February 23, 2008

Five Best...Artists Who Reached Number One Simultaneously in the US and UK


#5. Men at Work

Song: "Down Under"

Lyrics:

Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Cant you hear, cant you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.


When: 1982

#4. Beyoncé

Song: "Crazy in Love"

Lyrics:

I look and stare so deep in your eyes,
I touch on you more and more every time,
When you leave I'm begging you not to go,
Call your name two or three times in a row,
Such a funny thing for me to try to explain,
How I'm feeling and my pride is the one to blame.
'Cuz I know I don't understand,
Just how your love your doing no one else can.


When: 2003

#3. Rod Stewart

Song: "Maggie May"

Lyrics:

Wake up Maggie, I think I got something to say to you
It's late September and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused but I feel I'm being used
Oh Maggie, I couldn't have tried any more
You led me away from home just to save you from being alone
You stole my heart and that's what really hurts


When: 1971

#2. Simon and Garfunkel

Song: "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

Lyrics:

Sail on, silver girl, sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend,
I'm sailing right behind

Yes, like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will easy your mind


When: 1970

#1. The Beatles

Song(s): "Can't Buy Me Love," "A Hard Day's Night," "I Feel Fine," "We Can Work It Out," "Paperback Writer," "Hello, Goodbye" and "Get Back"

Lyrics (of just my favorites, due to their being so many):

I'm so glad that she's my little girl,
She's so glad she's telling all the world,
That her baby buys her things you know,
He buys her diamond rings you know,
She said so.
She's in love with me and I feel fine.


Life is very short, and there's no time,
For fussing and fighting, my friend,
I have always thought that it's a crime,
So I will ask you once again


It's a dirty story of a dirty man,
And his clinging wife doesn't understand.
His son is working for the Daily Mail,
It's a steady job,
But he wants to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.


Get home Loretta
Your mother's waiting for you
Wearing her high-heel shoes
And her low-neck sweater
Get on home Loretta
Get back, get back.
Get back to where you once belonged
.


When: 1964-1969

No comments: