Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Five Best...Overrated Albums That Are Still Pretty Good

#5. Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols by The Sex Pistols

I love the album as much as the next person, but is it the greatest punk album ever as many lists would clam it to be? Um, I’ll take The Clash any day, thank you very much.

#4. Tommy by The Who

There are some many better Who albums (let’s start with The Who Sell Out) but much of the time is spent talking about this album. It’s good and interesting, but it’s no “A Quick One” or “Substitute.”

#3. The Joshua Tree by U2

I never miss the chance to make a good U2 joke (or at least cracking on Bono) because of their “epic” status, but when I listen to Tree, I can't help but think how good of a band they are. Also the fact that it has my name in the title and came out the year I was born helps too…

#2. Nevermind by Nirvana

Not their best album (I’d give that honor to Bleach), but the one that everyone talks about and listens to. Still, for any other band, it’d be the greatest thing they could ever hope to release—after all, it is a really good album.

#1. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

I know the album is beyond influential and I do think some of the tracks are great (“A Day in the Life,” “Getting Better,” “Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite”), but there’s no way this is better than Rubber Soul.

No comments: