Monday, November 5, 2007

Five Best...Songs from Cosmo's Factory

The fifth album by CCR in less than two years, I think it's there best. Nearly every song on the album is stellar, and really goes to show how great of a lyricist, guitar player and vocalist (not to mention underrated) John Fogerty is.

#5. "Lookin' Out My Back Door"

Forward troubles Illinois,
Lock the front door, oh boy!
Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
Bother me tomorrow, today, I'll buy no sorrows.
Doo doo doo, lookin' out my back door


#4. "Who'll Stop the Rain"

I went down Virginia seekin' shelter from the storm
Caught up in the fable I watched the tower grow
Five year plans and new deals wrapped in golden chains
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain


#3. "Run Through the Jungle"

Thought I heard a rumblin'
Callin' to my name,
Two hundred million guns are loaded
Satan cries, "Take aim!"


#2. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"

Heard it through the grapevine
Not much longer would you be mine
Oh I heard it through the grapevine
Oh I'm just about to lose my mind
Honey, honey yeah


(Everyone talks about Hendrix making Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" a better song, but I think CCR taking on Gaye's "Grapevine" is a better example of this--and I mean that as no discredit to Jimi.)

#1. "Long As I Can See the Light"

Guess I've got that old travelin' bone,
'Cause this feeling won't leave me alone.
But I won't, won't be losing my way, no, no
'Long as I can see the light.

No comments: